Dr. Copeland: Nurse, can you give me an update on Caitlynn? I know she’s two years old and she’s been admitted for pneumonia. Does she have any history of breathing problems?
Virginia Anderson: Yes, this is her second admission for pneumonia in the last six months. She had a meconium ileus at birth.
Dr. Copeland: All right. Is she presenting with any other symptoms?
Virginia Anderson: She has decreased breath sounds at the right bases and rhonchi scattered in the upper lobes. Respirations are 32 and shallow with a temp of 101.
Dr. Copeland: What have we done for her so far?
Virginia Anderson: The respiratory therapist administered nebulized aerosol and chest physiotherapy. After the aerosol she had thick secretions.
Dr. Copeland: I see her weight is 20.7 pounds, and there’s been some decreased subcutaneous tissue observed in her extremities?
Virginia Anderson: Correct. I noticed this too, so she might have some malabsorption of nutrients.
Dr. Copeland: Have we done a sweat chloride test yet?
Virginia Anderson: Yes, and the results were 65 milliequivalents per liter. Also, the mother reports that when she kisses her, she tastes salty.
Dr. Copeland: All right. Well, I think it’s fair to say we might be dealing with cystic fibrosis here. Let’s get her started on an IV with piperacillin, and keep an eye on her temperature.
Create a 5-10 minute video of yourself, as a presenter, in which you will propose an evidence-based plan to improve the outcomes for the Vila Health patient and examine how remote collaboration provided benefits or challenges to designing and delivering the care.
As technologies and the health care industry continue to evolve, remote care, diagnosis, and collaboration are becoming increasingly more regular methods by which nurses are expected to work. Learning the ways in which evidence-based models and care can help remote work produce better outcomes will become critical for success. Additionally, understanding how to leverage EBP principles in collaboration will be important in the success of institutions delivering quality, safe, and cost-effective care. It could also lead to better job satisfaction for those engaging in remote collaboration.
Remote care and diagnosis is a continuing and increasingly important method for nurses to help deliver care to patients to promote safety and enhance health outcomes. Understanding best EBPs and building competence in delivering nursing care to remote patients is a key competency for all nurses. Additionally, in some scenarios, while you may be delivering care in person you may be collaborating with a physician or other team members who are remote. Understanding the benefits and challenges of interdisciplinary collaboration is vital to developing effective communication strategies when coordinating care. So, being proficient at communicating and working with remote health care team members is also critical to delivering quality, evidence-base care.
The Vila Health: Remote Collaboration on Evidence-Based Care simulation provide the context for this assessment.
Before beginning this assessment, make sure you have worked through the following media:
- Vila Health: Remote Collaboration on Evidence-Based Care.
You may wish to review Selecting a model for evidence-based practice changes. [PDF] and Evidence-Based Practice Models, which help explain the various evidence-based nursing models.
For this assessment, you are a presenter! You will create a 5-10-minute video using Kaltura or similar software. In the video:
- Propose your evidence-based care plan that you believe will improve the safety and outcomes of the patient in the Vila Health Remote Collaboration on Evidence-Based Care media scenario. Add your thoughts on what more could be done for the client and what more information may have been needed.
- Discuss the ways in which an EBP model and relevant evidence helped you to develop and make decisions about the plan you proposed
- Wrap up your video by identifying the benefits of the remote collaboration in the scenario, as well as discuss strategies you found in the literature or best practices that could help mitigate or overcome one or more of the collaboration challenges you observed in the scenario.
Be sure you mention any articles, authors, and other relevant sources of evidence that helped inform your video. Discuss why these sources of evidence are credible and relevant. Important: You are required to submit an APA-formatted reference list of the sources you cited specifically in your video or used to inform your presentation. You are required to submit a narrative of all your video content to this assessment and to SafeAssign.
The following media is an example learner submission in which the speaker successfully addresses all competencies in the assessment.
- Exemplar Kaltura Reflection.
- Please note that the scenario that the speaker discusses in the exemplar is different from the Vila Health scenario you should be addressing in your video. So, the type of communication expected is being model, but the details related to the scenario in your submission will be different.
Make sure that your video addresses the following grading criteria:
- Propose your own evidence-based care plan to improve the safety and outcomes for a patient based on the Vila Health Remote Collaboration on Evidence-Care media scenario.
- Explain the ways in which you used an EBP model to help develop your plan of care for the client.
- Reflect on which evidence you found in your search that was most relevant and useful when making decisions regarding your care plan.
- Identify benefits and strategies to mitigate the challenges of interdisciplinary collaboration to plan care within the context of a remote team.
- Communicate in a professional manner that is easily audible and uses proper grammar, including a reference list formatted in current APA style.
Refer to Using Kaltura as needed to record and upload your video.
Note: If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in this activity, please contact DisabilityServices@Capella.edu to request accommodations. If, for some reason, you are unable to record a video, please contact your faculty member as soon as possible to explore options for completing the assessment.
Your assessment should meet the following requirements:
- Length of video: 5-10 minutes.
- References: Cite at least three professional or scholarly sources of evidence to support the assertions you make in your video. Include additional properly cited references as necessary to support your statements.
- APA reference page: Submit a correctly formatted APA reference page that shows all the sources you used to create and deliver your video. Be sure to format the reference page according to current APA style. Submit a narrative of all of your video content.
Portfolio Prompt: Remember to save the final assessment to your ePortfolio so that you may refer to it as you complete the final capstone course.